RTC Internet Help
TROUBLE WITH YOUR INTERNET OR WI-FI?
Eric, Data Network Tech, shares a few things to try at home before you call RTC.
Email Set-Up Instructions
Tech Home Protect Plus
Since your power was off for an extended period of time, you may need to reboot your router. Here is some info on how to do that:
Do NOT press the reset button.
- If your router is equipped with an on/off button on the lower left side, press that button to power off. Wait 20-30 seconds and press again to reapply power to the router.
- If your router does not have an on/off button, remove the power cable from the lower left side by squeezing in the sides of the cable and pulling out. Wait 20-30 seconds and then reattach the power cable to apply power to the router.
- The router will take roughly 3-5 minutes to fully boot back up.
If you are still experiencing issues, please contact us at 862-3115.
Question: Why is my Wi-Fi slow in certain places?
Answer: There could be a few reasons why your Wi-Fi is slow or non-existent in certain areas.
- The distance between your Wi-Fi router/modem and your device is too far.
- There could be things blocking or interrupting your Wi-Fi Signal. The more walls the Wi-Fi signal has to travel through, the weaker your signal will become.
- Numerous Devices: Cell phones, smart TVs, tablets, appliances, baby monitors, wireless security cameras and wireless speakers all operate on the same frequencies and can lower your Wi-Fi speeds.
Contact us to learn more about Guaranteed Whole Home Wi-Fi.
Question: Facebook told me my data wasn’t shared with Cambridge Analytica, which is a relief. But now I’m spooked. What’s to keep other bad actors from collecting it, and how do I prevent that from happening?
Answer: As has always been the case with keeping your data private on Facebook, the key lies in the application’s settings. If you choose to continue using Facebook, take the following precautions to keep your data safe.
- On your Facebook home page, click the down-arrow in the upper-right corner of the screen. From the list, select Settings.
- In the left column, click Apps and Websites.
- Review the apps and websites Facebook has access to, and follow the instructions to remove those you no longer use or don’t trust.
- Now, back in the left column, select Ads.
- Follow the instructions to adjust how Facebook targets ads to you.
- While you’re at it, go through the other areas in the left column, including Security and Login, Privacy, and Timeline and Tagging, to make sure these settings are as you want them.
- Now might also be a good time to go through your friend list and remove those people you don’t really know or communicate with.
- Finally, be choosy about what you click on within Facebook. Cambridge Analytica was able to gather data from users who clicked on an innocent-seeming personality quiz.
Remember, though, the best way to protect your data is to limit how much you provide in the first place. Sharing many details of your life may be fun, but no privacy setting on a social media platform is completely foolproof.
If you’re having issues with any of your RTC services, please call our office immediately at 888.862.3115. Many times, customers will tell us they’ve been experiencing troubles for days, weeks, or even months. By waiting to call us, they experience a longer period of technical difficulties than is necessary. Remember, RTC typically does not know you’re having an issue until you informs us.
RTC’s business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. RTC does have an after-hours answering service that can troubleshoot email and Internet troubles over the phone. We also have technicians on call for emergency situations. If it’s not an emergency, we can try to fix the service issue over the phone. If the problem cannot be resolved over the phone, we’ll send out a technician the next business day.
When you call to report a technical issue after hours, please provide the following information so we can help you in a timely manner:
- Home telephone number
- Cell phone number
- Account number
If you’re not available when we return your call, we’ll leave you a message if possible. (Sometimes when we call cell phone numbers, the mail box is full or not set up, and we can’t leave a message.)
You’ve probably heard many times that switching to SmartHub is good for the environment by reducing paper use and saving trees. What you might not realize is just how beneficial SmartHub is in other ways.
SmartHub is a convenient way to access your RTC account and lets you manage all aspects of your account online or on your mobile device.
With SmartHub, you can pay your RTC bills online and receive your monthly statements from us by email, and pay them online with your financial institution in a safe and secure environment.
Not only can you use SmartHub to pay your RTC bills, you can use it to set bill reminders, and contact customer service with any services issues.
Creating a SmartHub account takes less than three minutes. Gain access to your SmartHub account online or on your mobile device with apps available for download for iOS and Android.
For more information on how to set up your free SmartHub account, follow the instructions below or call us at 888.862.3115.
How to Pay Your Bills Using SmartHub
- To access SmartHub, go to RTC.coop and click on “Pay Bill” in the “My RTC” drop down menu at the top of the page.
- If you were previously signed up for RTC E-Bill, just log-in using your E-Bill username and password.
- If you were not signed up for E-Bill, click on the “New User” link at the bottom of the page and follow the instructions to sign up.
There is also a SmartHub app available for your smart phone and table computers. Once you are logged in to the SmartHub website click on links at the left to download the app for your particular device.
SUMMER AND WINTER DISCONNECT PLANS
Phone : $30
Internet : $30
TV : $30
(TV Fee Waived when placing phone and internet on disconnect plan at the same time)
Our seasonal disconnect plans work well for customers needing their RTC services disconnected during the summer or winter. When you go on a disconnect plan your telephone number will be saved and listed in the new directory, your internet username will also be saved, and you do not have to turn in any TV set top boxes. For the listed one-time fees your services will be disconnected when you contact us and they will be automatically reconnected on November 1 for summer disconnects or May 1 for winter disconnects. Please contact us if you would like to reconnect your services prior to these dates.
Please note: You will need to know your account security password when you call to place your account on a disconnect plan and when you call to reconnect.